Simple and very very healthy, possibly also somewhat tasty, these muffins are a great way to start the day. Should mention that they are egg free and can very easily become dairy free or gluten free. I made mine with wheat germ, blueberries, dried currants and coconut but the possibilities are endless as long as you remember to balance out flavors. Another good combination would be carrot, orange and ginger.
So here goes, the recipe is super easy:
- 1 cup of sugar (I used brown. If you do the same, expect denser muffins)
- 1 1/3 cups of mushy bananas, mashed together
- 1/2 cup butter (I used a combination of half oil and half non fat yoghurt to keep it as low in fat as possible)
- 1 1/2 cups of flour (if using all whole wheat add a 1/4 cup less than AP)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt (optional)
- 1 or 2 tsp vanilla extract
The method to this madness:
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. In your mixing bowl add: bananas, sugar, fat and vanilla. Mix until it becomes a relatively homogeneous mixture.
3. Add the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt) and any flavourings you’d like. I added presoaked and drained wheat germ (1 cup), dried currants and blueberries.
4. Spoon into muffin papers and bake for 25 to 30 min (all depending on the ingredients added) until a toothpick that is inserted in the center comes out dry.